Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Other Story

Thanks for reading my birth story!  It was fun to write and relive that sacred night.

The other story is not as fun to write, and I certainly don't ever want to relive it.  Besides preparing for birth and having a baby, I have spent the last six months in disbelief, anger, and insomnia, preparing for a divorce.  The final court hearing is just a couple of days away.

I want to write about it, but I'm not sure what I want to say right now.  I'll include all the sordid details in the memoir I'm writing.  In 2009, a difficult year, Joel and I sang "This is not the end" along with Laura Gibson in a poignant moment at The Earl.  For fifteen years we claimed we were made for each other.  Laura was right at that time, but this is the end, and if we were ever truly MFEO, we are no longer. I grieve this, and honestly, at this point I celebrate it. 

Last month I moved in with my parents, who have been heroically helpful and an inspiring example of genuine love.  My whole family and dear circle of friends have been holding my hand through this fiery tunnel of hell, supporting me every step of the way.  Even as my marriage is ending, I see what true love looks like and feel it deeply.

What now?  Now I get to practice some radical self-care, create a whole new life, and love my three babies like nobody's business.  This is the beginning of my best story yet.

3 comments:

valerie said...

I didn't realize that you knew and loved The Story. I'm going to see her at the end of this month - a show that was originally scheduled last fall but was postponed due to Hurricane Sandy. I suppose it's not your favorite song at the moment.

Keep writing your new chapters! They're going to be great!

Jennifer Brooks said...

This will not break you. I was sure it would break me and by some mysterious miracle, I'm more whole than ever.

Wish I had more friends hold my hand through it. But maybe it was best I didn't.

You aren't alone. Yah birth!

Meghan said...

I love you very much, Jenny. You are so very very brave.